The Holy Heart Theatre “Auditorium” opened with its first official event on September 25, 1962 celebrating the graduation of the class of that year. It was a gala affair with invited guests sporting tuxedos and fine attire. The auditorium was equipped with the lighting, sound and stage facilities of a professional theatre of the day with a seating capacity of 1100. Actors, musicians and audiences praised its acoustics. It boasted an orchestra pit, dressing rooms, box office and coat check facilities, an inviting lobby and a Steinway grand piano imported from Germany .
When it was opened, it was not only considered the best theatre in Newfoundland , but also deemed one of the top five theatres in Canada . Halifax at that time did not have a comparable facility. An interesting note to frugality and heritage is that the seats in the balcony were obtained second hand from the old Cornwall Theatre on Cornwall Avenue (now part of the Smith Stockley complex).
Owned In: Newfoundland / Labrador
Holy Heart Theatre Features:
- Performance Art
- Life Theatre